Monday, December 22, 2008

My very own Christmas

So I'm here in San Bartolo where it feels much more like Christmas as it's freezing... Got to go to the Peace Corp office and pick up a package from over a month ago and get some stuff straight with work. Friday was the last day of work until the new year at my Muni, and we had a Convivio that night which is basically a Chirstmas party for everyone who works for the Municipial. I have a secret santa which I bought a sombrero for, and recieved much needed bowls and glasses from my SS as well. There was lots of singing to Ranchero music, a mariachi band, games, speeches, and food. The next day on Saturday was awesome. I woke up to my mailman calling me from outside my house with a package (shout out goes to Suzy Smith) and I made breakfast and opened the santa box. After that I washed all my sheets and underwear on my concrete pila, which isn't so exiciting as much as it is just an accomplishment. Around lunch Gabriel and Tia Neldy came by and we cooked lunch and hung out together. Then Saturday night I had my Christmas, I put on a holiday cd, the pajamas from my grandmae, and sat in front of my tree to open the gifts my family had sent. I have to say that for being alone, it really was a great time. I tried out everything and just had a nice time celebrating in my own way. I am glad to be here in San Bartolo with my Guatemalan family, but I just needed to have a little american celebration of my own. Thanks again for everyone who has sent a gift, card, email, phone call, or anything else. Feliz Navidad and Happy New Year.
Peace on Earth and Good Will to Men (and women)
Robin

No comments: