Thursday, December 4, 2008

Getting anxious, and Hilary Clinton


So today I was thinking, I hope I can hold out until Christmas before I just can´t handle living so unoccupied. I´m just not that kind of person and I can blame it on American culture or some self-ambition, but I am good at being the busy person and I just don´t know how long I can hold that off. In some ways I can´t wait to get going and many of my friends and family ask me, so what are you really doing in your work, your making name tags? what else, right? But I do think it´s important to take this slowly as well, as I need their confidence and trust so for now I am meeting people still, and going to meetings, and participating but not leading. But if anyone who reads this blog knows me, they know I am a leader, but it is important that in this job I train others to be leaders because only they can solve their problems, I can really only support the efforts that they make. Anything I do on my own will disolve when I leave so stepping back from leading to being more of a council is my position here.

With that being said, I had a visit from Roberto, my Coordinator from PC, and talked about my expectations here and work, ect. There are two projects that I would really like to start up. The first is with the women´s office to make small womens groups in these Aldeas with monthly meetings on different topics, such as Signing your name, AIDS prevention, Womens Rights, Domestic Violence, ect. Because the problem is they have such limited access to education and information, especially because they can´t read and write. So maybe we can at least open up discussions about the things that are affecting their lives and get them to talk about it.

The other project is a beautification of the central park here, and starting a community group for public art about social issues. I´ve talked about this one before, and next week I have a meeting with a childrens organization thats looking to form programs for the upcoming year, so that seems hopeful.

I also just need to say again how awesome it is to have Gabriel back in the office, and just in time for Roberto´s visit too! Also I heard Hilary Clinton is the new Secretary of State, hows the reception of this in America?

Peace. Love.

Robin

1 comment:

ncarolina said...

I believe that all who would have voted for Hilary are very happy about her new position. I haven't heard any negative talk about it, of course Saturday Night Live loves both Clintons. I also heard on an NPR show the opinion that Obama's choice demonstates his strong self confidence.