Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Volcano Weekend



Ok, so this weekend was pretty awesome every time it wasn´t raining, which wasn´t that often but good enough. If you ever go to Antigua, Guatemala you HAVE to visit the Casa de Santa Domingo. It is this amazing museum and old archeological ruin of a monestary from the colonial period. I could definately spend many more hours there, but maybe thats just me because I salivate over art and architecture. Saturday was pretty chill but nice too. I have Spanish class and cried to my teacher that I hate the Casa de Waffles that we meet to have class at so then we went to my house which is soooo much better. That afternoon I went out to lunch with the fam´ because it was Don Cesar´s birthday on Friday. After that, another birthday party, which it began raining in the middle of so that cut it short.
Now for the good stuff, the volcano. Volcano Pacaya is awesome, not too bad of a hike either. It was about 2 hours up and maybe an hour down. You don´t go all the way to the top of the crater but you do get to see where there is a bunch of lava pouring out of. Maybe I can figure out how to get pictures up on this thing. The lava flows very slowly and surrounding the entire volcano is dark black sand, which is pretty aweful to walk on. The lava is super bright though, and we took marshmallows and crackers up with us and roasted them on the lava (which ignited them almost immediately). They were soo good. Then it started raining again. haha. Always.
Monday was a PC holiday, as it was for all you back in the states, which means we got to visit the capital city with our Spanish teachers (this time Oscar, my old spanish teacher went). The city is busy and very developed. We saw the American embassy and walked over to the hospital, which is not a pretty site and I never want to have to go to. Then back to the two malls they have which are sooo American inside I almost forgot I was in Guatemala which was kinda cool for a little while. I finally bought a jacket, which I´ve needed for a while and some long-sleeve shirts. Tomorrow I´m working with the Municipialidad to find out more about our jobs here. I still haven´t received any mail so I´m not sure how thats gonna work.
More tomorrow, eventually I´ll get to it all.

Robin

No comments: