Monday, September 15, 2008

Independenzia


My weekend was pretty awesome. Saturday morning we had a Mayan ceremony at the PC center and in the afternoon I headed out to the beach. But first we had to stop in Chimaltenango for a basketball game that Cesar, the oldest brother, and other amigos played in. San Bartolo won, which was cool, but they don´t really have too much support here for basketball, not like soccer. It was in a gymnasium similar to the one at my high school, but with a concrete floor. After the game, it rained almost the whole way to Montericco. Right before you get there we had to cross a river on these barges, which are really just planks of wood. We drove the car onto it and in the night coasted down the river for about 20 minutes to the next port. The night was beautiful there, much warmer and the water is so nice. Kind of reminds me of home, especially when on the river. The beach there is greyish black, and the pacific ocean is really strong. All guatemalan women wear tshirts and shorts to go swimming, very conservative, and I did the same. Which means I have sand in every part of my shorts and shirt. The men wear whatever, their underwear, I dunno, haha. They also go really early in the morning, like around 5am because they don´t like the heat. Noone brings towels and noone lays out in the sun. I was the only gringo I saw for a while until we went to eat dinner, and I saw a table of about 10 american girls, which I think were as equally shocked to see me as I was to see them. We returned back Sunday and on the way stopped in Antigua and followed our torch procession all the way to San Bartolo. So essentially I was in their independence parade, which was a little akward since I´m obviously not a guatemalteca. It was fun though, and today has been mostly a day of rest and watching more parades with the school bands, majorettes, and lots of flags. I have some pictures of the beach but my camera got caught up in a wave and didn´t start working again till I got all the sand out of it this afternoon. BTW the olympus that I have truely is waterproof and shockproof, I´ve tested it against the Pacific. It´s not so sand proof though so watch out for that.
Thanks for all the support I get through the blog. I really enjoy your comments, it means at least someone is reading this thing.
Peace and Love.
Robin

2 comments:

ncarolina said...

At least those barges don't have to dodge a bazillion crab pots!!
When I went to Germany when I was 19, the first people I met were 2 Peach Corps workers, 1 from Mozambique and 1 from Madagascar; I can't remember where they had been stationed, but they were dying for Chinese food, so the first meal I had in Germany was Chinese!

AmandaBly said...

So I just figured out how this whole blog thing works. I feel like a scumbag for missing all this. I really love the way you write, its so sincere. You write in a way that sounds so real, not as if it were for whoever to read. The rawness of it is what makes it so interesting and fun to read (which is good cuz I have about a novels worth to catch up on)