Saturday, September 13, 2008

9/11 and 9/15

So this week has been interesting because of the history of the US with 9/11 was discussed with me several times. Guatemalans are well aware of this event, and are curious about american sentiment. Its pretty interesting because it also coincides with Guatemala's Independence Day, which is 9/15 (Monday). This is a very important holiday here, and the celebrations have already begun with a torch run, and festivals all over. We were guest judges for the school yesterday, each grade makes a presentation with maps and flags and monuments to guatemala and their culture. It was really awesome, and a tough decision, they go all out with candles, food, water, lights, glitter, the works. 2nd grade class B won, in case you were wondering. For the holiday, lots of families go on vacation and I think I'm going with my family to Mono Ricco (sp?), which is a beach near by. Finally somewhere that's hot, and hopefully no rain. My family got really sick this week, Don Cesar and Octavio. I don't know what it was but I was fine and so was Dona Dora. But they were both laid out for the count, aparently they are feeling better today though so hopefully our trip is still on. More pictures to come.
PS. I miss fall... send me pictures of the leaves.
Peace and Love.

3 comments:

ncarolina said...

"Of course it was hot!" Georgia O'Keefe's retort to her interviewer's lame question about the weather while painting in the NM desert. I love it. May you get some heat at the beach. And sun to go with it!

robinsmom said...

I'm panting for more pix...

Jerry said...

All that I hear from you is Blog...Blog...Blog! Seriously, glad that you are hooked up with a nice fam. How is the Spanish coming along? How do you say 22 in Spanish?