Sunday, September 7, 2008

Today was so nice and sunny....

but now its raining, really hard actually so I don´t know how long the internet is going to be up for because the power keeps going out. Saturday was interesting because we had a site exchange day where PC volunteers in Aloetenango came to our town then we went there. Aloetenango is a lot bigger than San Bartolome, and their houses are a little nicer. While we were there we made peanut butter and jelly from scratch which was awesome and I can´t wait to eat it on Monday at the training center with everyone. Its really a lot easier than I thought it would be, the longest part was peeling 5 pounds of peanuts, I would really suggest buying them de-shelled. The jam is strawberry and smells like heaven. That afternoon I got back a little late so I just chilled upstairs in my house listening to some rap cds that I think are my sisters from home and played spider solitare and drew. I´m borrowing a book about the Cuban War Poster Art from another volunteer, and have recently been interested in learning how to draw more mayan art, but possibly incorporating these pop art symbols as well. Today I was supposed to do a lot of homework but instead went to Guatemala city to the mall. The malls here are nicer than some of our malls, but of course thats only in the city. I have some more pictures uploaded on webshots. The link is: http://community.webshots.com/album/566485335iDGlpQ
Peace and Love.

4 comments:

robinsmom said...

Funny to think I bought peanut butter to have in the house during this hurricane season just in case...never considered making it!

ncarolina said...

I love peanut butter. Smucker's natural honey roasted. Bet the Go Guatemala! flavor is "kicking," guess that's sortofa euphemism, I have to admit I glanced at Wikipedia about blogs, until now have only heard the term a lot. Microwaves in the kitchens, and one would think you had to mash those peanuts with a stone axe. We used to get really good scratch peanut butter on the boardwalk in OC MD when I was a kid. My favorite peanuts are grown right here in NC. Great to hear the artifacts rival the Blue Dog!

Matt Mills said...

Grand Mae and I are missing you greatly today.

Lots of rain in Maryland

Ryan and Savanna are kickin' it large these days.

GrandMae misses you 10,000 times per day, and send her love.

We send positive mental vibes and prayers your way.

Cheers,
Matty M

Anonymous said...

I've heard that it's hard to get peanut butter in other countries.. (not sure if it's true, but I was once told that the US sent peanut butter to the Middle East and they had no idea what to do with it)

Can you buy it pre-made in Guatemala?