Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chocolates and Condoms

Monday was back to work and a new task I´m working on is giving training to the Women´s office on Microsoft Office. Basically how to use Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, ect. I was a litte nervous because it´s all in Spanish and although I would say I can navigate Word fairly easily, when all the menus are in Spanish it makes for a challenge, and then to teach it in Spanish is well kind of ridiculous. So in the Women´s office were always doing events with kids and adults about health education and different things, and I decided to use an idea from these events. I brought a bag of goodies which included gum, lolipops, chocolate, and a couple of condoms I have from my medical kit just as a joke. It really helped the session, everyone participated and competed for the stuff in the prize bag. Right at the end though a woman came in the office with two twin boys (no more than a couple weeks old) asking for help. Her story is that another woman just left these children, and that this woman wants to adopt them and take care of them but she doesn´t have any money to take them to the hospital or register them, and she already has a 4 year old son of her own, no husband, lives with her aunt or something. The women´s office gave her diapers, some milk, some cups, whatever we had around the office and asked the radio and local cable station to come over and take her information to send out for help as well but she doesn´t have a phone or electrity at her house so we can´t contact her. I took a photo for the office, aren´t they precious? Dylan and Junior are thier names.

2 comments:

Ctate said...

Hey Robin. I saw your headline and thought you were talking about my Valentines Day Plans.. (smile).
Anyway I have been keeping up with your blogs, but your mother just showed me how to leave a comment, so you will be hearing from me from time to time. Take Care..
Cassandra Tate

ncarolina said...

Regarding you previous tale of lice, bet you'll never hear the term "nitpicking" with the same set of ears!