Friday, November 14, 2008

Into the Wild

<-- These are women from the Aldea Tunuco Abajo where myself and two other collegues gave a presentation on strategy planning and citizen participation. (More pics on webshots.)


We won our basketball game last night 39 to 24 against the barrio Cemeterio. I am not really that great but really you should see them. Tonight we have a game of papi futbol, which I think I am also playing in but have no experience in whatsoever. It´s something like soccer but played on the basketball court.

This morning I went for a run to the next town over, Camotán. I think I should try to do that more often. I´m still working out my schedule but I need to fit in excercise somewhere and it´s so hot here that the morning is really the best time. Now I´m supposed to be at work but my boss nor the secretary is there. I don´t really know whats going on, maybe they are punishing me for going to the conference, haha. Instead I´m at the internet cafe to do more research on making badges for the Muni. I think if I can at least do that by December I should be fairly proud of myself. Oh man... how far I have come from a firm that designs national museums to making name tags.
Honestly though the skills I am learning here are really those that can be applied in any job situation. Patience, communication, modivation, patience, comprehension, patience, initiative, more patience... haha. The nice thing is the independence, in my job and in my life. As much as the Peace Corps is our mother here, I really do feel like I get to make a lot of my own decisions in my life. Maybe it doesn´t make sense but in order to feel like I have control, I have to completely give up control. I didn´t choose where I was going, or what my job was, or who I would work with or meet, and really everything that happens here complete blindsides me, but although there is no real order I am more self-reliant and proactive in my own decisions. Well thats the thought for today at least.

I am also reading "Into the Wild" right now and think am finding inspiration through, none of this is as tough as what Alex did, except he did get to speak english the whole time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! the women's outfits are so bright and colorful! but they also look hot and cumbersome.. it's crazy how so incredibly varied cultures can be.

But it's good to hear that you're learning a lot about yourself and what it means to be independent and self-reliant.

And yes, patience is probably the best thing to learn, not only for any future careers, but for all aspects of life. I'm still working on that one.. hah

much love,
Elizabeth

Drew Anderson said...

A la gran puchica vos!!! Espero que toda vaya super bien y que Monchito being too friendly has ended. Asi es la vida jocoteca. Hope all is going well and send my best to Don Don, Neldy, Alberto, Gabriel, and the rest of the town when you get a chance.

Paz,

Drew

ncarolina said...

Glad you didn't kill that spider. It's probably a professional cleaner of nasty big beetles and such. That is a very interesting paradox, giving up control to gain control. Hmmmmm.