Monday, October 6, 2008

Free time out the window

Ok so I thought I was going to have all this free time, but obviously not. So I want to give some links to the history of Guatemala to better understand whats going on, since it seems I´ll never have time to write it all out myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala is generally an overall good place to start. Read the 1944 to present section, but it leaves out some important details about the overthrow of the Guatemalan government with a planed assassination performed by the United States Government in connection with a major fruit company and executive conflicts. It also doesn´t really get at the heart of what the Civil war here was really like.
The war was not very long ago and the nations final Peace Accords were in 1996, and the laws that are now in effect weren´t written and approved until 2002. There is still a lot of corruption in the local and national government and a general consenus of distrust among all the people.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/guatemala.htm
This one is a lot better, and more detailed. Please send me your comments on what you think and any other websites that could be helpful.

The peace corps has articles as well which I´ll try to get a hold of and post.

Peace and Love,
Robin

No comments: