Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Back from Jocot@n

So the trip was amazing, pretty imtimidating at first but I have a lot to look forward to. First is my housing: I´ll be taking over the house from the last volunteer which is great because I get his frig and furniture, but there is still a lot to be done as is whenever any girl moves into a guys apartment, (sorry drew :P). The place is really beautiful, but the water is brownish and contaminated and only runs at night, which since there is a leak in the shower means it always runs at night, haha. So I have water from 7pm to 7amish, there is electricity most of the time but when it goes out who knows for how long it will be, and there are some pretty mad mosquitos too but overall everythings not too bad. Right now I have one electric burner and a firepit Drew made in the driveway, which is awesome and I´m going to girl-scout it up everyday. Seriously I want to buy a gas stove though, and start building furniture. I think that will be a good activity to work on in my down time especially the first few months while I´m still adjusting.
The climate is hot, like I said before which is great, and the people seem really nice. The Muni is pretty large and there are several people in the OMP office. My counterpart, Gabriel, seems amazing, motivated, smart, and easy to work with. They also want me to work with the Women´s office too (or OMM), which might prove to be a challenge since not everyone gets along between the two offices, but I think it will be good to work with as many people as possible.
There is a market everyday, and I can´t wait to draw there during my lunch break and bring back memories of Italy. There is a hot springs about 10 minutes away too, which we went to the last night I was there. It was really nice to go to at night, and it´s pretty low-key, no tourists, only guatemalans for the most part. I´m sure it´s not too clean and people pee in and all but it´s warm and I try not to think about those things too much here. Mail aparently will be easier to get there and I´ll post my new address soon.
The time really has flown by even though the days seem to last forever. 2 years and 2 weeks to go...
Peace and Love,
Robin

No comments: