Friday, December 4, 2009

Book Donations

Dear Friends & Family,

I hope each one of you are doing well and enjoyed a Happy Thanksgiving. Although it took 7 hours and 5 buses I happily spent it in the company of other Volunteers in the small village of San Antonio Las Flores, Jalapa, Guatemala around a table filled with our traditional turkey and mashed potatoes. I am also re-celebrating it at my house this week to share the holiday with local Guatemalan friends.

For those of you who I haven´t had the chance to keep in good touch with, I live in Jocotan, Chiquimula, Guatemala as a Municipal Development Peace Corps Volunteer. It´s had it´s ups and downs (and spiders if you read my blog) as you would expect but I am definitely learning a lot and still feel as though every day we can each make a difference in the world around us.

Recently I have been trying to make a big difference in Library of Jocotan, which serves a community of 60,000 people. I have proposed and found funding to completely renovate the building, but what the library really needs is books. Since some of you have asked me how you can help, and with the spirit of Christmas, and the ease of the internet, I have put together a wish list on Amazon.com (http://amzn.com/w/3LEFGDRF2T287) for contributions. These books are greatly needed. There is no complete Encyclopaedia, no books with color photos, and few that are even good enough condition to read. Your donation will be added to others from a local Jocoteca, the University of San Carlos Guatemala, the National Library of Guatemala, Outreach for World Hope, and Grace United Methodist Church. The books you buy online will be sent to my parents, whom will personally bring them to me in February.

Jocotan and I sincerely thank each one of you for your interest in my work here and for taking the time to read this letter. Thanks for reading my blog. I miss you all dearly and wish you all a very Happy Holidays!

With Love,
Robin Mae Schick

No comments: