Thursday, March 12, 2009

News from home

The mural is looking great, it's almost done and finally I have kids showing up consistantly to help! My work really seems to be picking up and I'll be working on a Diagnostico, or census, as my next project.

But the real news is about San Bartolome Milpas Altas where I did my training. This morning a 32 year old teacher was shot in the street. Overall I would consider the town very safe, but it certianly represents that crime here is growing outward from the city rapidly. It is now currently prohibited by Peace Corps for me to visit the family and friends I have there. I have sincere prayers for her and her family, as they are not certian if she will survive yet. Here is the article from in the local paper, the Prensa Libre, "Atacan a balazos a maestra en escuela de San Bartolomé Milpas Altas, Sacatépequez"

Peace and Love,
Robin

5 comments:

Carol Massey said...

Robin:
I am so sorry to hear about the shooting. Please be careful and stay safe. I enjoy reading your blog and hearing about your work. Please take pictures of the mural you are working on. I would love to see the finished product. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

God Bless You in Your Work,
Carol Massey
(Secretary CB Baptist Church)

Jerry said...

Robin: Keep the news flowing. Deana and I check for news from you each time we sign on. The shooting is sad. It seems to be the way these days. Here in Hampton Roads there are sooo many shootings lately. Several high profile , high school football players were shot and killed during the Fall.
They had to call off several games because of threats of a shooting. They say it is mostly gang related. Hopefully, the PC ban on the town will be soon lifted and you can feel free to visit at your will. STAY ALERT and BE SAFE!!!

Drew Anderson said...

Robin,

Donny just called me and it made my week. I hope all is well for you and that you are staying busy. I miss Jocotan more than you will ever know so enjoy it while you are there.

Andres

Robin said...

The teacher from San Bartolome did die within the day I think, and it is still prohibited to go there. But Julissa, my host-sister, just had her baby about 15 days ago and they sent my pictures by email! They named him Sebastian Jose, and they are both in good health.
and Drew, your right Jocotan is amazing but we need to do some story sharing when you get a chance :P
- Robin

robinsmom said...

Let us know all about the Easter celebration in Jocotan and what you do with the packages just sent...you sounded great on the phone which always makes me happy...my bug bites are finally gone from our visit in Feb! yeah
Eat a boiled egg Easter morning and some chocolate--I will. Love and sweet dreams.